The brainstorms of life from 30,000 feet

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

What the heck do they know?

I was tasked last night with picking up the Travel Size One at The Airport (that could be an entire post in itself!). We were in the car traveling from The Airport and this song by Papa Roach called Scars came on. The song for those of you who don't partake of the Papa Roach has a very driving beat and shows a very intense passion. Now, I have found that there are two types of people in this world. Those who listen to the words, and those who don't. I am on the "those who don't" side. I listen to the music. The guitar riffs. The bass lines. The drums. I experience music for the sound. I don't always pay attention to the words that the singer is singer. This in turn means I may listen to a song with "questionable" lyrics, but it has a great beat! My Travel Size Bride-to-be is of "listen to the words" persuasion. So there are times we are listening to a song and she says "How can you listen to this garbage?" I typically respond, "What do you mean? This has a great beat!" (She says..., he hears...)

So we were listening to Scars... complete side bar: At one point in the past we were listening to this song in the car and I was singing the lyrics... "The stars remind us the past is real." You'll see below that that the line is in fact, "My scars remind me that the past is real". Hey, the stars can remind of stuff? Huh? Right? Anyone? <-drowning->

I tear my heart open, I sow myself shut
My weakness is that I care too much
My scars remind me that the past is real
I tear my heart open just to feel

Back to the point... So were listening to Scars on the way to the Travel Size Better Half's (future) house and she brings up the fact that she thinks that Kidz Bop included this song on there latest album. For those of you not familiar with Kidz Bop (Please don't question why I am) it is set of CD's similar to the "NOW" CD's. They take current top 40 pop music hits and allow ankle biters to sing the songs (Why in the world anybody would want to listen to that crap is beyond me. I remember getting older and listening to the little musicals we performed in grade school and thinking my parents were the greatest in the world because they endured that assault on the auditory nerve). This conversation got me to thinking... "No way someone could make children sing this song. The lyrics are pretty intense" So I Googled. I found a website that is selling the Kidz Bop CD's. THERE ARE NINE CD'S! NINE! So I got to searching. I couldn't find any of the CD's that had Scars on the playlist, but I was amazed at some of the songs they DID include!

  • Don't Lie (Black Eyed Peas)

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry
Hey, baby my nose is getting big
I noticed it be growing when I been telling them fibs
Now you say your trust's getting weaker
Probably coz my lies just started getting deeper
And the reason for my confession is that I learn my lesson
And I really think you ought to know the truth
Because I lied and I cheated and I lied a little more
But after I did it I don't know what I did it for
I admit that I have been a little immature
F...ing with your heart like I was the predator I assume this was edited out of the Kidz bop Version but still!
In my book of lies I was the editor
And the author
I forged my signature
And now I apologise for what I did to you
Cos what you did to me I did to you

Not nearly as good of a song when the kiddies are singing it huh? Kids shouldn't be telling lies anyway! There are more...

  • We Belong Together (Mariah Carey)

Who them and their parents?

  • Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (Green Day)

Shouldn't they be trying to figure out how to get to Sesame Street?

  • Incomplete (BackStreet Boys)

What is? Their baseball card collection?

  • Wake Me Up When September Ends (Green Day)

Most of them have only had 6 Septembers, how can they know a bad one (Thank you sweetie)

  • 1985 (Bowling For Soup)

Most of them weren't alive in 1985

  • Toxic

Are you kidding me????

  • Feel Good, Inc (Gorillaz)

I am not even going there!

It's humorous to me when I think of some of the people who write these songs and the "tragedies" they must suffer when their assistants don't get them the right Latte first thing in the morning (and by first thing I mean when they roll out of bed around noon). But come on! These kids are singing some of these songs and all I can think is "What the heck do they know?". They shouldn't be thinking about being "Toxic" or traveling down any Boulevard much less the one of broken dreams.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know that I practically wrote this entry for you ... glad I gave you some new material. ;) Maybe it's because I agree with everything you said about KidzBop (random thought: I can't stand the fact that they spell "Kidz" with a Z), but this is one of the funnier entries you've written!

Thanks for picking me up from the airport. :)

7:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:02 PM

 
Blogger SunSticker said...

Kidz Bop IS the devil. And WHERE do they find those corn-ball kids that sing so passionately into the camera on those commercials?

11:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home